Want to know a secret? There is no lawyer that can just “work their magic” in the courtroom. What most people think of as “legal magic” is actually a thorough and rigorous knowledge of the law, and an unlimited supply of dedication — but the law is just half of the equation. The other half? Science!
Mark Thiessen is one of the few lawyers who has earned the designation of a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist, the highest form of scientific recognition available for lawyers, and he is here to discuss why you should hire a Lawyer-Scientist for criminal cases like DWI.
In addition to earning the American Chemical Society-Chemistry and the Law (ACS-CHAL) Forensic Lawyer-Scientist designation, Mark is also the only lawyer in America who is quadruple certified in DWI*.
If you or a loved one has a DWI case that you can’t afford to lose, you can’t afford to hire anyone but the best. Call Mark Thiessen at the Thiessen Law Firm today at (713) 864-9000 for a consultation.
*Those four certifications being:
- Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- DUI Defense by the National College for DUI Defense as approved through the American Bar Association
- DUI Law by the DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- Board Certified Advocate in Criminal Trial Law by the NBTA Foundation
What is a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist?
An ACS-CHAL Lawyer-Scientist is an attorney with a strong knowledge of biology, forensics, chromatography, toxicology, and other related fields who puts these sciences to legitimate use in a court of law. Essentially, the Lawyer-Scientist is a lawyer who knows as much about the science being discussed in a courtroom as they do about the laws themselves which can give the lawyer an advantage when discussing evidence in your case.
How to become a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist
You don’t become a Lawyer-Scientist by being interested in science or reading a bunch of articles online. The title of Lawyer-Scientist is a sought-after designation that not many lawyers in America have achieved (under 100 at the time of the publication of this blog).
The American Chemical Society is the largest scientific association in the world. Their Chemistry and Law Division created the forensic chromatography program in order to promote true justice by allowing lawyers to expose invalid science in the courtroom.
In addition to their own independent studies, Lawyer-Scientists have to pass a series of ACS courses (in some cases, TWICE), maintain strong standing with the bar association, and remain active members of the ACS-Chemistry and the Law Division so that they can stay up to date on the latest scientific advances.
In other words, not just anyone can be a Lawyer-Scientist.
What is a forensic scientist called to court for?
Forensic scientists are often called to court when toxicology is involved. This is important because in most DWI cases (as well as many other types of criminal proceedings), the most important piece of evidence the prosecution has is the results of a blood or breath test.
What is stopping them from falsifying information or fudging the numbers? What is stopping them from improperly carrying out scientific procedures? We know that the police want to put more people in jail and that for-profit prisons want the same, so how can you really know that you’re on the receiving end of legal parity? The unfortunate truth is that you can’t, but a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist might be able to even the odds.
Some common problems for which you will want a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist in your corner include:
- When the results of a blood or breath test are being used as evidence against you. Your Forensic Lawyer-Scientist will be able to identify any ethanol contamination, carry-over, or improper calculation of retrograde extrapolation.
- A Lawyer-Scientist will also be able to identify any failures to maintain procedure. The police like to cut corners, and if you give them an opportunity, they will take the shortest route to put you in jail. They will look for things like improper timing, methods, or breaks in the chain of custody, which ensures that a suspect is actually connected to the results presented.
- When the results of any standardized field sobriety tests are being used as evidence. These tests (including the one leg stand test, walk and turn test, and horizontal gaze nystagmus test) are formed on outdated, bogus science, with the intention of making it easier for police to put people in jail.
Prosecution for criminal charges often hinges on some form of scientific evidence. Whether you’re talking about a DNA sample, blood alcohol content test, or a narcotic chemical composition test, if you don’t have an ACS-CHAL Lawyer-Scientist there to double-check their work, the police can essentially get away with anything.
Hiring a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist can help protect you against junk science and bad police work
Hiring a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist to defend you in court can help the real story of your arrest come to light. Do not let bad science, bad police work, or bad technology be the reason why you lose your freedom. Hire a Forensic Lawyer-Scientist like Mark Thiessen to take your case.
If you or a loved one are facing criminal charges and want to make sure that you receive relentless, accurate representation, give Mark Thiessen a call. Only 5% of criminal defense attorneys can beat a breath test in court, and only 1% can beat the results of a blood test. Mark Thiessen has beaten both on several occasions. He knows how to win.
Call the Thiessen Law Firm at (713) 864-9000 or contact us online today for a free case evaluation.
More Helpful Articles by Thiessen Law Firm:
- Why You Should Never Represent Yourself in Court
- Should You Take a Court-Appointed Attorney?
- Racing on a Highway in Texas: What You Need To Know
- The Elements of Intoxication Manslaughter in Texas
- Possession of a Controlled Substance in Texas: What You Need To Know